Julias Soc 240 Blogging and thoughts

a qwriting.qc.cuny.edu blog

14
Apr
2010

The Girl in the Video – GETTING SERIOUS

by Julia and tagged , ,

A promo from the E series 'Candy Girls'

ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY
P Dionne, Stephens, April L Few (2007) The Effects of Images of African American Women in Hip-Hop on Early Adolescents’ Attitudes Toward Physical Attractiveness and Interpersonal Relationships 56, (3,4) 251-264 Retrieved from Springer Link Database

I wanted to use this journal article because it seemed to really hit the nail on the head concerning my argument. Stephen’s and Lew attack the different meanings of African American sexuality and stereotypes in regards to hip-hop music help to showcase the number of variations and expectations music places on women. Stereotypes such as the Baby Momma and the Gold digger, help to segregate women from each other in terms of images and also help divide them. The images of women in the context of hip-hop music give viewers and men a false sense of what it means to be an African American woman in a larger sense. The preceding becomes problematic because when viewers and consumers of this type of music are introduced to real world settings they are seeing real live women and not the fantasies they are used to. Conflict arises here, because the objectification these women in a fictions setting makes it seem appropriate to treat women like sexual dumping grounds.

Sauceda, L. , 2004-08-14 “Honey Girl Versus Video Hottie: Black Female Sexuality and the Politics of Respectability” Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Sociological Association, Hilton San Francisco & Renaissance Parc 55 Hotel, San Francisco, CA, Online . 2009-05-26 from http://www.allacademic.com/meta/p109931_index.html

Women in music videos are important because they actually serve as role models for young girls. While these women are portrayed in a negative light, the reason they can be seen as role models is because they offer these young women something to aspire to. On the flipside of this, these same girls may act dress or strive to look like these women but not realize the real message they are sending out. Its natural to want to emulate the things you see on television but when a teenage girl is being referred to as a ‘tramp’ as a result something is wrong. If a person is led to believe that a certain type of behavior is correct and is  being punished for it then the system and what it means to be a young girl in a situation like this has been set up to sabotage their development.  This thesis is important to my research because it deals with the other side of what it means to  be a female viewer or a woman in hip-hop culture. The women who are in these music videos were at one  point young women themselves, so I think its important to examine the other aspect of women in these  videos. The female viewer and the lead or the supporting actresses in these videos are  just as important as their male  counterparts, however on a larger scale they are also part of their own communities and have separate lives outside the music industry. The two women ( the consumer verses the active participant) is something that  becomes interchangeable because these same viewers  can easily be in the same place as the women they strive to envy

Kubrin, C. and Weitzer, R. , 2007-11-14 “Misogyny in Rap Music: Objectification, Exploitation, and Violence against Women” Paper presented at the annual meeting of the AMERICAN SOCIETY OF CRIMINOLOGY, Atlanta Marriott Marquis, Atlanta, Georgia Online . 2010-03-12 from http://www.allacademic.com/meta/p200347_index.htm

I chose to use this last article in my research because misogyny is something that’s still prevalent in rap music today. Some times it  can be hard to spot, but if you pay attention the signs  can be seen  in things like champagne bottles being unloaded on women, fire hoses and the like. Artistic expression is one thing  but when this same expression begins to degrade women, there’s a problem.  There have been more recent examples such as Tip Drill or Pursuit of Happiness one deals with using a credit card and female genitalia as  currency. This video is about five years old so it is safe to say that the ideas and the messages are not that outdated. Violence against women seems to be something that is  normalized in rap music, for a last  example there is I Poke Her Face which deals with violent oral rape of a stripper. The  place of women in these  videos also has a lot to do with how they are treated. Strippers are degraded while lead women are showered with love and attention. Skin color also plays a key role in treatment.

METHODOLOGY:
Since my project will generally deal with the ways women are portrayed in music videos, my real research will start with extensive viewing of different types of music videos. I do not want to focus on just hip-hop and rap since rap is not the only genre of music that objectifies women. I will also be conducting interviews of people both within and outside my family. For those outside of my family I will interview and survey people between the ages of 20 and 50 years of age. I decided to keep the age range so open because music and its messages are both universal. Music can affect you no matter how old you are or what background you come from so I will also try to interview men and women from different backgrounds. My research will not stop with this, in my time off from school an episode of TYRA concerning skin bleaching caught my attention. Another active part of my research will include going into local beauty supply stories to take records of the different types of beauty products women use in order to achieve an image. The way women look in music videos are often directly related to the types of roles they play in the music world. A last part of my research will include the photographic aspect of the work. Overall there are many aspects that are often neglected in this type of media. I will not try to cover everything, but paint a significant picture of what it means to be a woman in the hip-hop environment

ETHICS:
As far as ethical considerations go, while doing my research I will not interview anyone under the age of 20. When I enter beauty supply stories before I start my fieldwork I will let the store owner and employees know that I am doing a research project. I imagine it would be easier for me to conduct my research by not revealing my intentions. People are less inclined to share information once it is going to be used on some sort of public level; however I will be as honest as possible to maintain the integrity of my project. There will also be an option of opting out of the interview or survey process, in case the subject I am working with is uncomfortable they will also be allowed to drop out of the process with no questions asked. A final step in my process along the lines of ethics will be all participants signing a consent form. Getting their consent will ensure that all information used is allowed and doesn’t compromise those I choose to talk to during the interview or survey process.

37 Responses to “The Girl in the Video – GETTING SERIOUS”

1.   No Hands SEO Review Says:

Should you be bored stiff of making back links manually or compensating monthly for additional backlinks make an attempt No Hands SEO as it may create thousands of backlinks at the high quality settings that is needed.

2.   Buy Garcinia Cambogia Says:

It’s remarkable designed for me to have a site, which is beneficial in favor of my
    know-how. thanks admin

3.   aquaponic fish Says:

An Aquaponics garden can be set up indoors or outdoors inside backyard.
    Aquaponics gives a great experience of staying
    near nature inside clustered and chaotic cities. Many rookies will build their tanks, purchase their fish, and plant their seeds all inside the same
    day or weekend.

4.   Vilma Says:

I really like what you guys are up too. This sort of clever work and coverage!
    Keep up the wonderful works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to our blogroll.

5.   garcinia cambogia Says:

Are you seeking very quick weight-loss solutions to look spectacular
    to get a reunion or date. Unlike almost every other diets, this includes a great deal of bread, usually pita bread.
    Beginners is capable of doing lunges without weights
    then gradually work your way to work with weights.

6.   is garcinia cambogia any good Says:

Simply, actually need it enjoyable, makes no difference what kind of exercises
    you do now (or maybe not doing at all). If
    your goal is to lose weight and get fit, there are plenty of products on the
    garcinia cambogia market to allow you to do it. Overall, Hoodia gordonii is
    usually an effective way of dropping excess weight since they act as a natural appetite
    suppressant.

7.   How To Build An Aquaponic System Using Simple Components Says:

It is as if you understand my thoughts! Material comprehend a good deal concerning this, just like you wrote the hem ebook in it something like that. I do think you can do by incorporating percent to help stress your message house a bit more, having said that as opposed to that, this can be fantastic website. An outstanding examine. Let me easily be returning.

8.   special effects photography Says:

Hey there! Someone in my Myspace group shared this website with
    us so I came to look it over. I’m definitely enjoying the information.
    I’m bookmarking and will be tweeting this to my followers!
    Fantastic blog and brilliant design and style.

9.   social anxiety relationships Says:

Hola! I’ve been following your weblog for some time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out
    from Porter Texas! Just wanted to mention keep up
    the good job!

10.   dubturbo download Says:

DUBTurbo is beat making software, that gives you the possiblity to make beats while not studio hardware.
    Keep on panning unless you reach the sound you’re looking for.
    So many artists have avoided this idea, believing that it would be an extended learning curve in order to learn the program itself.

11.   Transdermal diet patches Says:

Ϻy family members every timе saү that I аm ҟіllіոg mƴ tіmе ɦеԁге аt
    աеЬ, but I қnоԝ І am ǥɡеttіnɡ кnoԝlеdǥе alll thе tіmе bʏ геɑԀіnǥ tҺеѕ plеɑѕaոt ɑгtісlеs οοr геνіeաѕ.

Alsօ νіѕіt my աеЬѕite – Transdermal diet patches

12.   Common SEO Says:

Common SEO

13.   test2 Says:

Fascinating blog! Is your theme custom made
    or did you download it from somewhere? A design like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make my blog shine.

Please let me know where you got your design. Thanks
    a lot

My web page … test2

14.   weight loss recipes Says:

Hi mates, how is the whole thing, and what you desire to say
    regarding this piece of writing, in my view its in fact amazing designed for me.

15.   elevator stair Says:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciate your efforts
    and I will be waiting for your further write ups
    thank you once again.

16.   Garcinia Extract weight Loss Says:

I simply couldn’t depart your website before suggesting that I extremely
    loved the usual information a person supply
    to your guests? Is gonna be back regularly in order to check up on new posts

My web page; Garcinia Extract weight Loss

17.   Best anti aging cream Says:

Good day! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if you knew where
    I could find a captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as
    yours and I’m having trouble finding one? Thanks a lot!

My website; Best anti aging cream

18.   free clash of clans cheats Says:

Hello! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing
    many months of hard work due to no back up. Do you have any methods to protect against hackers?

19.   vietnam travel Says:

Very descriptive blog, I loved that a lot. Will there be
    a part 2?

20.   noeflabbooks.us Says:

Actually no matter if someone doesn’t understand after
    that its up to other viewers that they will help, so here it occurs.

21.   oak handrail fittings Says:

This may be the reason why a lot of people forego bathroom remodeling most of the time.
    Have a plan ‘ Before you even begin remodeling,
    sit down and get a firm idea of what you can, and can’t afford.
    The scratches, stains, blemishes and damaged parts
    of the table are hidden behind the mirror.

22.   take depression Says:

take depression

23.   garcinia mangostana Says:

garcinia mangostana

24.   Minecraft Servers 1.8.1 Ip Says:

Minecraft Servers 1.8.1 Ip

25.   http://www.siyudy.com/cute-short-hairstyles-for-black-women/cute-short-hairstyles-bob-46272203 Says:

http://www.siyudy.com/cute-short-hairstyles-for-black-women/cute-short-hairstyles-bob-46272203

26.   tooth whitening fort worth Says:

tooth whitening fort worth

27.   раскрутить сайт Says:

раскрутить сайт

Julias Soc 240 Blogging and thoughts » Blog Archive » The Girl in the Video – GETTING SERIOUS

28.   Bolas Chinas Y Natacion Says:

Bolas Chinas Y Natacion

29.   Comprar consolador en sex Shop Says:

Comprar consolador en sex Shop

30.   namesilo coupon Says:

namesilo coupon

31.   Đại lý xe tải isuzu chính hãng giá tốt tại Vĩnh Phúc Says:

Đại lý xe tải isuzu chính hãng giá tốt tại Vĩnh Phúc

32.   крановые весы Says:

крановые весы

33.   Bikini Sexy Girls Videos Says:

Bikini Sexy Girls Videos

34.   Melanie Collins Nude Photos Says:

Melanie Collins Nude Photos

35.   Jackie Guerrido Sexy Videos Says:

Jackie Guerrido Sexy Videos

36.   Cara Gee Most Sexiest Nude Photos Says:

Cara Gee Most Sexiest Nude Photos

37.   crystal bernard nude videos Says:

crystal bernard nude

Julias Soc 240 Blogging and thoughts